Leonkov explained the meaning of the proposal of President Daniel Ortega
The Nicaraguan edition of La Gaceta published on its pages a decree of President Daniel Ortega, which states: starting from the second half of this year, it is allowed to the presence for humanitarian purposes of warships and aircraft of a number of countries, including Russia. We asked for expert opinion on the features provided by the Central American state.
What military prospects in this regard are opening up for our country, “MK” explained the military analyst, editor of the magazine “Arsenal of the Fatherland” Alexei Leonkov.
A number of experts saw in this decision of the President of Nicaragua unprecedented prospects: Russian military bases in the underbelly of the United States with medium-range missiles. And they even began to draw pictures with “Caliber” and “Daggers” getting from Nicaragua to Florida, including Cape Canaveral.
Here they, of course, got excited. In fairness, it should be noted that Russia is not the only country whose army was invited by Daniel Ortega for “humanitarian missions” to the territory of Nicaragua. The list also includes countries that are members of the conference of the armed forces of Central America: Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Dominican Republic. And also Mexico, Venezuela, Cuba and, oddly enough, the United States.
How can one explain this step of Daniel Ortega, made immediately after the Biden summit of the “Two Americas”? Why is there such a wide range of countries in the decree of the Nicaraguan leader on military cooperation – from Russia to the United States inclusive?
– If Ortega said that he was going to let only Russia, and even more so China, he would have greatly strained his northern neighbor – the United States. – says Alexei Leonkov. – The secret services would immediately become more active there, with all the ensuing consequences.
US President Biden has just held the long-awaited “summit of the Americas” – North and South. He promised to distribute money to everyone. Although the amounts promised to the neighbors turned out to be absolutely incomparable with those huge billions of dollars that go to help Ukraine.
– Yes, but no one entered into an open confrontation with the United States there either (note that the United States, as the host country of the summit, refused to invite representatives of Nicaragua, Cuba and Venezuela, which led to a boycott of the event by the leaders of a number of Latin American states – “MK”). Especially Daniel Ortega. He is a “hard-boiled man” and understands perfectly well that Nicaragua is a small country, and if he goes into a fundamental conflict with Biden, he can “break away” on the “defense of democracy” in his small country. Moreover, it will not cost Biden anything. On the contrary, he will earn points on this, which will only go to plus his falling ratings. Biden now urgently needs some kind of victory, and Ortega, of course, will not openly provoke him.
That is why this document contains such a wide list of countries. Say, guys, please come to us with humanitarian missions – the fight against some pirates, or floods – we will always be happy to help you. But in fact, this is such a veiled invitation to Russia …
– That's it. But at the same time, one condition: you will have to ask us if you can come to us? And we will decide who to let in and who not. Thus, the Americans must understand: they seem to be able to enter, but they still have to ask the hosts.
– This means that we are gaining serious influence points around the world. And Latin America has been looking in our direction for a long time. First of all, Cuba and Venezuela. Nicaragua can also be included in this list.
And, of course, in Nicaragua they understand that it is one thing to simply express loyalty to someone, but if such loyalty is backed up by the presence of Russian military equipment, then this is a completely different alignment.
And you need to start here, of course, small. Suppose, for a start, they are allowed to enter the ports of the country in order to replenish food and water supplies. We have ships in the Atlantic, they go to Cuba, to Venezuela. Even our strategic Tu-160 aircraft flew there recently.
Many countries now see America losing its grip. Including thanks to Russia, therefore, such an ally as our country will not hurt anyone.
– For us, such an invitation to our Armed Forces – fleet and aviation – means a lot. Think for yourself: what kind of Russian military aircraft can fly to Nicaragua? Only strategic aircraft. Nothing else will fly. Well, maybe another IL-96 as a civilian aircraft. But we are talking about the military. That is, our “strategists” are hinted: come to visit us, we will refuel you here, treat you with fruit …
– Rather, to military-technical cooperation, where certain horizons and contours are indicated: if possible, in the future we could become, for example, a temporary base for you. We flew in, refueled, took part in humanitarian actions and flew away. Or, let's say, there was a Russian expeditionary naval strike group, entered Nicaragua, conducted joint exercises to catch some drug dealers – pirates of the Caribbean – took a break and went home again.
– Yes, this is actually the same as Cuba, close, close to the USA. Well, of course, if we consider this Nicaragua-Cuba-Venezuela triangle in military-technical terms – if I planned it – then here, of course, Nicaragua and Cuba need to be more actively protected by air defense systems.
< p>It is necessary to install a radar station on the island of Cuba that would “see” the entire territory of the United States, as well as warning systems for missile attacks. In Norway, not far from Murmansk, do they have such a station? Why don't we put a similar radar closer to US territory? You bet and we will. And we’ll also protect it with air defense systems – otherwise you never know, suddenly more and more nervous presidents will come to power there every year?
Approximately the same air defense system could be installed in Nicaragua, creating there layered defense, which should include the S-300 or S-400 complexes, as well as the Buk and Tor complexes. And that's it: the country is immediately protected from the air from possible threats. And we can service this equipment, quietly enter it, establish connections …
– Yes. Our “three hundred”, “beeches” and “toras” are just standing there. With their help, a layered air defense system was created in Venezuela. The Americans have already tried it “by the tooth”, nothing happened. To break through such air defense, you will need to lose a lot of your planes, so they no longer go there. They don't want to embarrass themselves.
Well, if we do the same in Nicaragua, then our “strategists” could eventually fly there. And there, you see, we will bring them our new fighters, new helicopters through Venezuela.
– Well, yes. But we need trade routes, we are developing economic ties with these countries, right? This means that it is necessary to ensure the safety of both these routes and these countries. It's not us, but we and them are being clamped down with all sorts of sanctions, our goods are not allowed in.
But, mind you, we are doing everything peacefully and exclusively for humanitarian purposes. For example, civilian dry cargo ships or some container ships can go there. Although many people know that they can also be transported by missile launchers, for example, anti-ship But this is so, just in case. You never know…